Pace 0 - Turn-Around Tony

Strange” is not the word and “confused” doesn’t fit Tony either. You wouldn’t dare admit that in some deep way his ideas intrigued you. I suppose every generation has to have a Wrong-Way Corrigan or someone with only one oar in the water… But Tony was not exactly one to be laughed at. He’d add an extra pair of headlights on the BACK of his car just to keep the car following him on the ball. He always did think it’d be more challenging to play baseball with a football and bat, but again, that’s Tony.

Wednesday evening the church group had their regular think tank to dream up new ideas that might be fresh ways to attract folks into church to hear the sweet promises written in the blood of the cross. When Tony raised his hand to share his idea the pastor was sure it was a mistake to hand him the dry erase marker and point to the white board. Only a few times has Pastor Donaldson prayed harder than when Turn-Around Tony shared his ‘ideas’ with the group.

You just didn’t dare close Tony’s ideas out after he tells about the church bus that he got saved in. The motor didn’t work ‘cuz there wasn’t any. Ol’ #14 never moved from its spot on Jamison’s property. Tony and the kids painted big letters on the sides that said, “We Love Kids and Jesus Does Too!” Tony learned that if you can’t get young souls to church in town, you take the church to them. Little Nancy used her crayons and drew a bright red heart near the letters with a big first aid cross in the middle. If you asked her why she’ll put both hands on her 7 year old hips and say, “Well our old bus is savin’ people just like the first aid truck with the siren… so there!”

Well, Tony removes the cap from the marker and writes, “TRAKKIN’” in bold letters on the board, then turns to face his audience. Reaching in his shirt pocket he produces a church tract showing all sides of it to the group. He says, “Yes I know you all know what this is, but I want to show you what I think it’s REALLY for.”

Pastor shifts into his power praying mode nervous about what Turn-Around is going to say. “My heart tells me over and over that these little folded pieces of paper have tons more value than just leaving them on the restaurant table, under windshield wipers, or in pockets at the clothing store,” Tony begins. When you see below the tip of the iceberg into the more valuable purposes God has for these, you begin to understand what I call Trakkin’.”

With his marker he begins a list of the depths of Trakkin’ and explains each one. Several of the listeners started taking notes.

  1. Trakkin’ teaches me as I get dressed, to pack a few tracts even before I reach for purse, wallet, keys, or cell phone. It helps me get my priorities straight even before my first bite of toast.
  2. We all agree the most important item of communication each day is sharing the gospel. Well, this tract in my pocket reminds me each time I reach for my cell phone or pen.
  3. Trakkin’ is also being mindful of my actions and attitudes as I see the tract peeking at me through the day. Boy! It sure has made a difference in my driving.
  4. Sure we all prefer sharing the gospel from scripture but when we go we leave a tract that has the gospel plan in writing so others can review God’s incredible love in redemption.
  5. Tracts designed well contain a church map, schedule of services, and a picture to show that my pastor has the required number of eyes.” Pastor Donaldson revved up his prayin’.


Tony finished with, “And lastly, do you remember little Nancy who colored the heart and first aid cross on the bus? You should have seen her give people tracts at the fair. No one ever refused one. Last November Nancy began skipping and jumping in the presence of her Great Physician. She learned first hand she’d never need her wheel chair in heaven.”

Trakkin’ teaches you to carry the word with crayons, chairs with wheels, or broken busses.